Blog

Saturday, May 2, 2009

What a Hedge Fund Wife Look Likes These Days

Happy May!

Only three days until the official launch of Hedge Fund Wives. Today the Financial Times published an article I wrote about what I'm wearing for my book-related festivities and meetings, and how hedge fund wives are dressing in general. I've copied the first few paragraphs below, but you can click here to read the whole piece.


The New Modesty: it’s the hottest thing – at least among a
certain high-end, formerly bling-happy social demographic. Forget designer
togs and megawatt jewels; these days, dressing for the downturn is all about
recession-appropriate (read understated) clothes and accessories.

Trouble is, when you’re the author of a book called Hedge Fund Wives – even one about hedge fund wives during the onset of an economic recession – people have certain expectations of how you are going to look. And this has made figuring out the right wardrobe for my upcoming book tour, related meetings and press appointments awfully complicated.

Not that I myself am a hedge fund wife. I am an energy consultant’s wife. But when you write a book about the world’s super-rich, people don’t expect you to turn up in well-worn jeans and Gap T-shirts – though that is, in fact, my writing uniform. What’s more, if what I’m peddling is my insider’s knowledge – what one HBO executive referenced as my book’s “authenticity” – there is a certain advantage to looking the part.

The question is: what does a hedge fund wife look like nowadays?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say, "Classic with a twist." You are probably wondering who I am, commenting on all your posts. I am a 44yo woman who hardly ever reads blogs. Tonight I started reading Jen Lancaster's blog just to stay off Facebook, and I eventually ended up here. So glad I did, and I'm going to read your book, too, as I mentioned in some other comment.

June 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home