Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Kids and Facebook: What if they want to opt out?

I wrote a piece for Sunday Styles about my 9 year old son's desire not to feature in my social media field. I've gotten some flack for it from parents who think this is a non-issue in the sense that I should have known--without question and instinctively--that my son had the right to decide whether or not I posted a picture of him on my Facebook account.

That's fine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and, I truly believe it is a good sign when a piece like this elicits passionate response. We want to evoke discourse!

But I think these readers may have missed the point of the piece, which is the why--from a psychological and philosophical standpoint--I was wrong.

You can read the entire essay here:
www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/fashion/parenting-internet-facebook.html?_r=0

Happy to hear your thoughts on it. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home